What is Strategic Power?
"... The critical, highly complex concept of shih ("strategic power") that figures prominently in the Art of War and underlies all subsequent military theorizing and much political thought presumably originated in the martial realm. ... " - Ralph D. Sawyer, The Tao of Deception: Unorthodox Warfare in Historic and Modern China
"... In warfare the strategic configurations of power do not exceed the unorthodox and orthodox, but the changes of the unorthodox and orthodox can never be completely exhausted. ..."
--- One Hundred Unorthodox Strategies: Battle and Tactics of Chinese Warfare (pp, 121)
King Wu asked the T'ai Kung: "What is the Tao for aggressive warfare?"
The T'ai Kung replied: "Strategic power is exercised in accord with the enemy's movements. ... One who excels at warfare will await events in the situation without making movements. When he sees he can be victorious, he will arise; if he sees he cannot be victorious. he will desist. Thus it is said he does not have any fear, he does not vacilate. Of the many harms that can beset an army, vacillation is the greatest. Of disaster, that can befall an army, none surpasses doubt. --- Tai Gong Six Secret Teachings, Chapter26: The Army's Strategic Power
A connective understanding of the grand goal and the specific objectives produces strategic power.
When a team has strategic power. It means that they have built and connected with their Tangible Vision and ready to lead with it. They also know the following:
- The measure and constraints of every situations;
- The component forces;
- The unorthodox;
- The fundamentals to manipulate competitive forces;
- The outstanding tactical variables;
- The background of the competitors;
- The basics of the specific terrains;
- The understanding of the specific tactical fundamentals;
- Complete the goal by determining the critical path;
- Avoid the negatives and focus on positives;
- Anticipate opportunities;
- Perform proper strategic adjustments;
- Shape the target; and
- Lead by strategic collaboration.
Is your company moving with strategic power?
Copyright: 2007 Collaboration360 Consultants (C360).
Copying, posting and reproduction in any form (without prior consent) is an infringement of copyright.
--- More to Come ---