Pragmatic experience is good. Having good know-how from experienced strategists is also important. Besides various translations of the Art of War and the other strategy books, C360 Consultants is a big fan of Gerald M. Weinberg's books
Following are five of our favorite "Weinberg's" books:
- The Secrets of Consulting (A great book for consulting newbies)
- An Introduction to General Systems Thinking (General Systems Thinking is an essential skill for who are in technology business)
- The Psychology of Computer Programming (This is a great book for techie-based project team leaders)
- Becoming a Technical Leader (This book presents a comprehensive view on how to become a technical leader) and
- Amplifying Your Effectiveness (This book has many good ideas and suggestions on how to improve one's efficiency in various individual and team situations.)
Mr. Weinberg has also given us an "unsolicited endorsement" for our strategic ideas and process.